On the eve of a City Council hearing today on the Baltimore Police Department’s inaction before the outburst of violence at Brooklyn Homes, the agency announced the arrest of a 15-year-old male in connection with the July 2 mass shooting.
“Detectives believe this individual fired a weapon at several individuals in the 800 block of Gretna Court,” a BPD press release stated.
The suspect, whose name is not being released because he is a juvenile, was arrested this morning.
He is being charged with 44 offenses, including attempted first-degree murder, conspiracy to commit first-degree murder, attempted second-degree murder and reckless endangerment, the release said.
Police said he was previously arrested on August 30 for a handgun violation.
The arrest is the fifth made by police so far in the wake of the outdoor party at a South Baltimore public housing complex that turned violent, with shots fired from multiple weapons resulting in 30 people injured, two of them fatally.
Most of the victims were young people, including the two who died that night, 18-year-old Aaliyah Gonzalez and 20-year-old Kylis Fagbemi.
As with the previous arrests, the latest person charged is not accused of firing any of the shots that struck the victims.
“BPD continues to work aggressively and diligently on the criminal investigation into the July 2nd, Brooklyn Homes critical incident,” Acting Commissioner Richard J. Worley said in the release.
“This is an ongoing, extensive investigation, and it remains imperative that every tip and angle is tracked down.”
The arrest comes before Worley is expected to come before the City Council for a second hearing on the response by police and other agencies to the gathering.
Police radio transmissions reported by The Brew – and later confirmed by the BPD’s “After-Action Review” – showed that officers were well aware of growing tension and violence as some 800-900 people gathered for the party, but held back until the shoot-out commenced.